Suffolk Herring Festival
Saturday, October 31, 2015
10:00 - All Ages
The Cut, Halesworth, Suffolk, IP19 8BY
Halesworth, Suffolk, United Kingdom IP19 8BY
The Cut is a community arts centre in Halesworth, home to artistic events throughout the year.
Come along for a taste – in every sense - of the glory days of the Suffolk fishing industry and the annual autumn harvest of North Sea herring by Suffolk drifters manned by Suffolk men in jerseys and oilies. While herring isn’t as familiar an item on the menu as it once was, you probably know whitebait, which is simply the herring young. There’ll be a day-long outdoor barbecue of fresh caught North Sea herring & bloaters, as well as the chance to try the famous Dutch soused herring (maatjes haring). In addition to its regular menu, the Cut’s Café will offer a special kipper kedgeree and pumpkin soup. The fish will be caught the day before (shoals allowing) – You simply can’t get fresher!
• Live music with the John Ward Trio and local bands.
• Original music soundtrack from the Eastern Angles production of ‘When the Boats came in’
• Smokey’s Herren, a specially created new play by Jack Rosenthal
• The Time & Tide Museum of Gt Yarmouth will be on hand - learn all about our herring heritage
• Archive film of the famous herring fleets and processing in harbour
• ‘Show and Tell’ space • Speakers on Suffolk’s herring heritage inc. local author Dorothy Stewart who also reads
from her new book When the Boats Come Home
• Free drawing workshops for the whole family - Fish on Paper Plates with Heather Hodgson and Fish n’ Sticks
with Kasia Posen • Crafts for sale including the famous ceramic Red Herrings
• Food stalls • A very fishy raffle! • Fishing with magnets!
‘Show and tell’ your herring stories… Many people in Suffolk have families that worked in the herring industry or maybe you did yourself. With The Suffolk Herring Festival coming to The Cut in Halesworth, we invite you to bring any photographs, memorabilia, stories and anything else linked to this significant heritage. On 31st October and 1st November from 10 until 4, come along to share what you have, feast on some herrings, take part in workshops, hear historical talks, listen to great live music and even see a specially created play for the festival. If would like more information, please get in touch with us here at The Cut on 01986 873285 or email@example.com or simply call in (we are closed on Mondays).